Friday, February 18, 2011

My little funny boy

We don't get a lot of visitors out here. We're out in the country and a lot of people don't want to drive the dirt roads. We get quite a few teens and preteens in and out of the house, but not many adults. A friend who Zane hasn't met came over today. Zane just stood way back and barked at her for like 10 minutes. I finally grabbed him, pulled him over to her and fed him chicken by her. "Oh, I get chicken by her! Cool! Hi, pet me!" He just didn't know who she was and was expressing his distrust and fear.

He did 2 nosework searches today - one this morning and one for my friend. He still does some shaping type stuff on occasion, but he also gets down to work and sniffs. You can see the whiplash turns as he zeroes in on the scent.

When doing drop-on-recalls and go-out-and-sits, I like to use a backup to get them to hang back. So for the DOR, I call, drop them, tell them to back up and drop them again. It's really helped Bella learn to drop fast and not creep forward. I was trying the same thing with Zane's go-out and sit today, using the backup after the sit, but his back isn't solid enough yet, so we worked on just backing up instead. Interestingly, he hasn't done his little grumbling thing while training in a while, but he did it while having to back up.

No comments:

Post a Comment