Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Rubber Ducky

Zane says, "Some puppies have to play with rubber duckies. I get *real* duckies!"
Zane - 12 weeks

Zane - 12 weeks


We're still working on a tethered stand and playing with moving front feet. Putting sit and down on verbal cues. This weeks "Aim for It" is "through", so he's gone "through" an open cardboard box.

I'm about to get very, very serious with recall training. I was in Susan Garrett's recall course and I want to start the games with him.

On Monday nights I teach a Novice Obedience class. Before class starts I get Zane out and work him. He does eye contact, choose to heel, and last night we added a modified form of "Calming Ovals". Ok, I modify everything! Two cones, set 6-8 feet apart (depending on the size of the dog). Dog on the inside, just walk an oval (like a racetrack) around the cones. The dog has to learn to give in to you on those turns and not run in front. It went very well.

This morning our walk consisted of a barking dog (play BAT) and a lot of traffic (just sat and watched it for awhile).

This is Zane at his Toad Belly best:
Zane - 12 weeks

3 comments:

  1. How awesome is that?! Zane gets to play with duckies!

    I'm amazed with all the training you are doing with him. After doing a ton of training on my own and in classes, it's actually really interested me into becoming a trainer. I'm just confused on where to go with it. There are a few online schools, but who's to know what is legit and which is trying to screw you. Or if school is needed at all. There are so many different paths to go. I'd like to do obedience and a sport(s). Since you are a trainer, do you have any recommendations or insight?

    Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now we just have to wait for the duckies to get big enough that he can really do stuff with them!

    For training. . . first find a trainer whose method you like and ask if you can observe some classes or apprentice. Observe classes from several different trainers to get a feel for the different styles of training.

    There are several good schools out there. Pat Miller has an excellent one. Karen Pryor Academy is good too. There are some I wouldn't recommend - anything that is just book learning and doesn't have the hands-on component. That said, from what I've heard, Animal Behavior College has a good program to teach you the science of dog training. I've heard there are some errors so you need a good follow-up program, but they at least help you understand what you are doing and why.

    If you are interested in obedience, look in Chris Bach's stuff. Lots of exciting stuff there!

    There's a ton of info on the internet. Be sure to peruse it and find what you like!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a ton!! I was looking into Karen Pryor and Animal Behavior College. I didn't know about the ABC for awhile. It's hard to look at a website and wonder are they for real or is this just a business front?
    I'll check out Pat Miller, too.

    I am planning on entering Reuben into some more various classes after he's done with puppy obedience so I can check out some other trainers. I do really like my current trainer, but I have an open mind to really see what all is out there.

    Thanks for the input! :)

    ReplyDelete