Thursday, December 30, 2010

Touch or Treat

Today I started watching the DVD set "Foundation Fundamentals" - a series for building the foundations needed for agility work - the stuff you need before you ever add the equipment.

So far I really like this series (I've only made it through the first two DVDs in the 6 DVD set). We teach leave it exactly the same. . . but she uses it to start working through food distractions. She has food in one open hand and asks the dog to touch the other hand. Dog has to give up the food and touch the hand. Cool! I like that, so while watching, I got a handful of treats and tried it with Zane. He could do it with a twist. He wanted to high-five, not nose touch. But he did figure out the touch. One difference between her style and mine is that I require the touch to be maintained until released; she expected multiple touches until she marked and rewarded. Minor difference.

So here's Zane showing this with part of his dinner:



We also started playing with the "pound-a-ball" toy today. This was his second session with it.




After his dinner, I bent down to pick up his bowl, and decided that he should start picking up after himself. So I started shaping him to pick up his food bowl!

No comments:

Post a Comment