Thursday, November 18, 2010

Moving Stand

This morning's flash sessions included a moving stand. Zane was very confused at first. He wanted to drop, as that is what he's been working on. But after a couple of tries, he figured it out. It's definitely not fluent yet, but he got the idea.

He's done enough brickwork right now that his sits need some work. Instead of sitting straight, he always swings to get into heel position (or close to it). I'm doing a lot of wall fronts to remind him where front is, and I'm rewarding immediate sits if we're not working on front. Zane is learning about stimulus control - only offer the behavior when it is asked for. All dogs go through these stages. Have you ever taught a drop on recall, then your dog starts dropping on every recall even if you don't ask them to? Anticipation can be a great friend in training if you use it wisely.

He is now fluent on his rear pivots without the brick. Well, on the left side he is. The right side needs more work. He still has trouble getting into perfect "side" position. If I were doing freestyle, I'd be working it a lot more. But I'm not, so I don't.

Every morning Zane goes outside first thing to potty. When he comes back in, he is so cute. He acts like he hasn't seen me in two weeks and is full of wiggles and leaps and loving. We have to spend about 5 minutes just loving on each other before he can do anything else. My husband wanted a sweet, loving Aussie, and boy did we get one.

No comments:

Post a Comment