Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Shaping fun this morning

Our morning routine consists of Zane going out to potty, then coming in for breakfast (doing a little work for it), then when it's light enough, we go out, feed the horses, then I get the paper and go inside. This morning when I got to the paper, I realized I had a handful of treats in my pocket. So the clicker came out, and I decided to try to shape Zane to pick up the paper. At first he was paw targeting it. He *loves* to paw target. Then he started doing brickwork on the paper (front feet on, back feet pivoting around it). Finally he put his head down to sniff it. From then on, I only clicked interaction from his muzzle. By the time the treats were gone, he was picking it up and handing it to me. What a nice impromptu shaping session!


We went to rally practice today. One of the dogs there, Rusty, is a red border collie. Both of my girls (dogs, no kids) love Rusty. The first couple of times Zane met Rusty, he was scared of him, then liked him, now there seems to be a little love affair going on. Every time Zane sees Rusty, he runs to him and throws himself to the ground at Rusty's feet. He just rolls around there adoring Rusty. I have got to get a video of it.

I just heard Joelle yell, "Zane, no!" Then I hear little pounding puppy feet running as fast as they could. He had stolen a pair of underwear and was running to hide with them. Good laugh for the evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment