Sunday, August 15, 2010

Crate Games!

Today we started Crate Games. We didn't get through all the levels you're supposed to on the first day. . . his tummy just can't hold that much food. So we're taking it a bit slower.

We did get to the "It's yer choice" game. At first he didn't want to go back into the crate. I just stepped on his floor cord so he couldn't get anywhere and waited. And waited. And waited. Often in training, people don't wait long enough for the dog to think and figure it out. I want him to think! And he did. He finally walked into the crate and got the yummy treats. I released him out and he got kibble. He ran back in. . . yummy treats. We did that a few times then stopped for the day. We'll do more tomorrow.

Yesterday I started some hand targeting and today continued that and did some nose targeting to a lid. He was getting it! I want to get his paw targeting started soon too. He likes to paw things and I don't want to lose it!

This evening Jade and I did hallway recalls again. He knows what to do. And today we were outside and he was about 20 yards away. I called and he came running. Woohoo! He's definitely getting it.



Since he understands the click, I'm also starting to click every time I see him in a nice stack. I'd like to get it on cue for a nice self-stack.

He did a few more sits today, and now he comes up, sits in front of me and stares very intently. It is so cute! Right now he doesn't handle pressure well, so I have to be very careful how I reward him for the sit/maintains and release him before the pressure is too much. But he is definitely trying his hardest to do it and offering sits a lot.

Zane in a box - 9 weeks

No comments:

Post a Comment