Thursday, August 19, 2010

Wonderful evening!

Zane has issues with other dogs. He is fearful and if the dog is too pushy or comes right up on him, he growls and will snap. I'm doing a lot of work to counter-condition this and to change his conditioned emotional response to other dogs.

Tonight was puppy class. There were two other dogs there - a tiny little Shih Tzu who is timid and a Shepherd mix who is very exuberant. Zane got to come out at the beginning of class. I had treats going to him constantly and let him approach the other puppies as he was comfortable. A couple of times he ran to hide, but did come back out for more treats. I was pleased as he never got aggressive and he got within 3 feet of the other puppies.

After class I took him outside to potty. The others came out and as Zane approached, I kept treats going to him. He ended up allowing the little Shih Tzu to approach him with no reaction. Her owner and I were both tossing treats on the ground to the dogs. Then I kept placing treats closer and closer to the Shepherd. They finally got nose to nose, shared treats, sniffed each other, and no reaction from Zane! Good boy!

It was a great night just for that.

Zane and Lolli

Zane and Chulo

Zane and Chulo

Zane - 10 weeks

Zane - 10 weeks

Zane - 10 weeks

No comments:

Post a Comment