Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Vets and Reward Zones and Recalls

Today Zane's big adventure was a visit to the vet. He was due for his puppy shots. He weighed 8.2 lb. It was a busy day there. Right before we got there, a dog came in with a temp of 105. Right after we got there a dog came in with possible torsion.

One of the ladies asked his name. I told her, and she called him. He immediately turned to her and gave her eye contact. Good puppy!

Crate Games are going phenomenally. He's running into the crate every chance he can. And he's waiting to come out until released.

Today's new training was heel and side (side is heel position on the right). When walking, any time he gets close to either side, I click and give the reward by my leg. I want that to be the "hot" place - the place he always wants to get to.

Then we worked on him sitting and holding a sit in each position. No problem! He's holding a sit in all positions even with the other dogs milling around him.

This evening at dusk we were outside walking around. I headed to the back of the house to sit in a chair while the dogs played. I turned and Travis and Emily were with me, Bella was on her way, but I didn't see Zane. I headed to the side of the house we came from and called him. He came running as fast as he could. Boy does he make me proud! He's responding so well.

He's been playing with spoons and a baseball (everybody keeps asking why there are spoons on the kitchen floor). That way he's used to metal and leather when it comes time for scent articles. He loves racquet ball balls. And he loves squeaky toys and his gingerbread man (a little stuffed toy). And he adores the toys that have a water bottle in them to crunch and chew.

No comments:

Post a Comment