Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Walkies!

I decided that this week I'm really going to focus on leash walking and walking in new places. We're out in the country, so don't get all the sights and sounds from town.

I thought today we'd start easy - just a walk down our own dirt road. Uh, not. I forgot that as soon as we walk out our front gate, there would be 5 large Mastiffs and Pit Bull barking hysterically at us. Zane was terrified. We finally got past them, but he kept looking back to see if they were going to come get him. He wouldn't take food, wouldn't respond to the clicker.

Change of plans. After I got the youngest girls on the bus, we headed out to a neighborhood closer to town. I figured even a little 5 minute walk would do him good. It ended up better than expected. He met two walkers. Then a large water truck drove by. He had to stare at that. Then it stopped and hooked up to a fire hydrant and started pumping. We walked to it and watched it for a bit and talked to the workmen handling it all. Zane got some loving from them too. Then a bicycle went by, so he watched that.

On the very short walk (since we spent a lot of time watching the pumping truck), Zane found a pine cone that he picked up and brought home.

So my new goal is every day after the girls get on the bus, we drive to a new neighborhood and walk around and see what we can find.

I'm also going to start Look at That and BAT training with him. Today we also started reorienting when going through doors and gates. So much to do!

4 comments:

  1. Hi, I love your puppy training blog! Your boy is gorgeous! I am planning for my Aussie puppy that I hope to be getting early next year and asking everyone about their training plans. Do you have a specific system or book that you are following. I notice you have names for many of the exercises - I recognise the 'Look at That' one. Can you tell me the name of the program you are following?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Be sure you let us know when you get your puppy! We loooveeee Aussie puppies!

    I'm not following any one program. I pull things from lots of them. Some of them are:
    Control Unleashed
    BAT by Grisha Stewart
    Focused Puppy (new book by Deborah Jones)
    Third Way training by Chris Bach
    Various exercises from Susan Garrett
    and various things I've learned over the years from too many different sources to remember!

    I've always wished I remembered what I did when training a dog, so this is my chance to write it all down and document what I'm doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to mention another one that has had a big influence on my training. . .
    Sue Ailsby's Training Levels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I was planning on getting the 'Focused Puppy' book and posibly 'Control Unleashed' I have Susan Garrett's 'Crate Games' video and have done that with my 2 current Aussies & love it!
    So far I just have my name on the planned breeding list & hopefully if it all works out will be getting a puppy approximately next February. Seems like a long way off - but I think I need to get ordering a couple of books & start reading!

    ReplyDelete