Sunday, August 22, 2010

Show 'n Go

What a big day for the little guy! He went to the Show 'n Go. He met a Jack Russell Terrier (although they didn't get too close), a Rottweiler, an Italian Greyhound, a Border Collie, and a Schnauzer. No growling! Yay! He did show some stress signs at one point, so we just got out of there before it was too much for him. He also made lots of new people friends.

He even got to go into the ring! He did a sit-maintain, eye contact, finding heel, and a drop on recall. Ok, so it was supposed to be just a recall, but he got tired halfway to me and lay down instead. I'm still calling it a drop on recall. And no screaming in his crate all day.

He's fast asleep behind my chair now. It was a hard day for a baby dog.

Note: When he started showing some stress when meeting the other dogs, I want to explain why I got him out. The more he gets to practice stress and growling, the more ingrained that path becomes in his brain. I don't want that path to be strong. He handled the attention from the other dogs very nicely and ate his treats (a sign that he wasn't over-stressed), and I wanted to end on success rather than have it turn bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment