Monday, October 11, 2010

Class Night

Mondays are busy for me. At 4:30 I either teach 4-H dog obedience or assist with 4-H dog agility. Then I drive 30 minutes away and teach a competition obedience class.

For 4-H today, we actually had a young woman who was in 4-H herself and did junior handling come to teach the kids about the showmanship portion of the dog program. So I got Zane out and let him practice being a show dog. He had to stack, got examined (and rolled on the ground at her feet while she loved on him), and kind-of gaited. We definitely need to work on that.

This past weekend I also taught him to do a high five, so any time he got tired of standing there, he tried to do a high five.

Tonight at the competition class was the first night of five weeks of fronts and finishes. Zane got to come out and work on his around finish (going so well!) and chair fronts. It's good for him to work in other places and around other dogs.

Before class I had some time to work him. We did a bit of choose to heel. It took him a couple of circuits to remember what to do (it's at an agility field, so many other things to see and smell), but then he wouldn't leave my side.

Then we worked downs. Finally. . . finally I got three fold-back downs in a row done on just a verbal. Yay! Of course, I probably had him do 20 downs before that. He needed help because he wouldn't offer anything, or he'd sit and flop. Every proper down got a big jackpot and praise and petting. He loves to be loved on. Hopefully we're on the downhill side of learning downs.

No comments:

Post a Comment