Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Good day at the park

This morning we went to Rally practice. Bella practiced, then Zane came out to hang around with the other dogs. He did beautifully! He met two new German Shepherds, a new Sheltie, and a new Vizla. No hint of fear aggression. He acted very appropriately and submissively to the adult dogs. He approached calmly and let them sniff him. He sniffed Wally, the Australian Terrier, and tried to play with Rusty, the BC that he knows already. He was also able to give eye contact and worked on downs with them all around him.

This evening I grabbed some chicken and decided to see if I could shape Zane to pick up the grabber arm he likes. At first he was totally focused on me. Then he looked at it - click. Then he pawed it a couple of times - click. Then he nosed it - click. He did put his mouth on it a couple of times, got distracted by the kitten several times, and stared at me a lot. But he did eventually start to pick it up. He would immediately drop it, so I had to time clicks very carefully. I was pleased with what he did. He's learning to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment