Friday, October 29, 2010

Cones and Bricks and Halters. . . Oh my

Zane is getting close to an age where his strength may be stronger than his self-control. So it's time to introduce a head halter. As my dogs go through adolescence, I do like to use a head halter at certain times. They don't get to practice bad habits (like pulling uncontrollably to get to something they want).

This morning I started desensitization work with the head halter. Then we went to the park, and while I trained the girls, Jill walked him around. He wore his halter, but no leash was attached to it. I just want him used to the feel on his face now. Oh, and the desensitization work? I started with clicking for nose touches to it. Then I held the nose loop up, and clicked nose touches to it, then to the middle of it to get a treat, then pushing his nose through the loop to get a treat. Then I buckled it on, gave a treat, took it off. Puppies accept things so easily!

Last night I videoed his newest brickwork and cone work. Here they are:


No comments:

Post a Comment