Friday, October 15, 2010

One small incident. . . possible long term affects

Remember how the dog ran at us on our walk yesterday? This morning, Zane did not want to go on a walk. "I really, really don't feel like it Mama. I'll just stay here. Ok?"

Nope, not ok. Get on that horse and ride, boy!

So we went on our walk. At first he was very skittish, then finally settled in and walked and gave nice attention. But when we rounded the corner to turn on the street with *that* house, Zane went on full alert. Any time he checked in, I clicked/rewarded. But he was very watchful and very nervous going past that house. Luckily no dog came charging at us today.

I've heard people yell, "My dog's friendly!" as it goes running up to someone (it's off-leash of course). They forget that maybe the other dog isn't friendly. Or maybe it's fearful. Or maybe it is a service dog. Lots of reasons to not let a dog run up on another person or dog.

Zane's reaction today wasn't bad. It is easily worked through. But. . . what if the dog had run at us again. How many times can we have a setback before it has a permanent affect? Unfortunately, where we live, there will always be dogs either running up on their fence line or running loose. We're in the country - it happens. Maybe I should start carrying something to stop another dog before it gets to us. Heck, I can't even get out my own front gate without the mastiffs across the street barking hysterically and acting like they want to attack.

No comments:

Post a Comment