Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Shaping Fun

I love to shape behaviors. I love to see a dog think and figure out the game. I love to see what my dogs can come up with. Shaping is what really differentiates clicker trainers from traditional trainers. I *want* my dog to try new things and not wait to be told or shown what to do. The traditional trainer doesn't want the dog to do anything unless they are told to. It's just a different mindset.

Remember the first part of the retrieve work where I had Zane just bite the dumbbell or articles? Step 2 is learning to pick it up off the floor. Just another shaping exercise. You'll see Bella and Emily come in for some distractions, and you'll see a touch of resource guarding from Zane.



After a break, I pulled out a box lid. I didn't have a picture in my mind of what I wanted him to do with the box. I just watched what he offered and picked one. I went with two-in-two-out - like the agility contact behavior two-on-two-off, but for this it's two rear feet in the box.

No comments:

Post a Comment