Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Longer sessions

When working for his meals, I could get maybe 3 reps out of Zane before he just didn't want to do anymore. Gradually, I've been able to work that up. The past two mornings I've done a set of 10 stands, then a second set of 10, then 10 reps of out/wrap the cone. Then he gets the rest of his breakfast. That's a much better level of duration. Hopefully I can push it even more.

Last night before novice class, Jill and I did round robin recalls with him. But. . . if we didn't call him and he came running, he got ignored. This is teaching him stimulus control. There is no reward if you do it and you haven't been cued to do it. There is a reward if you are cued and do it. He loved running back and forth.

Then I worked on cones with him. Well, just one cone. Sometimes I sent him ahead to wrap around the cone. Sometimes I walked by and sent him out to the other side of the cone. He wraps much easier to the right and sometimes doesn't quite make it to the left.

We ended with calling him through a straight tunnel. Back and forth and back and forth. Then we wanted to catch him as other dogs were arriving, and he just kept running back and forth through the tunnel. Uh oh! Tunnel monster! I need to get out some jump standards and build that drive for running between the poles! (No bars on the jumps, just the uprights.)

No comments:

Post a Comment