Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Back to Basics

The past two mornings, Zane has simply done sits, downs, and stands in random orders. And I'm trying to gradually increase distance. He doesn't have stand on a verbal only yet - he still needs the hand signal - so that one is still close. But I want him to only change position when I tell him and from wherever I am without him moving forward. Every once in a while he will sit when I say down or down when I say sit. Of course, there have been times when I've done puppy push-ups with all of my dogs, and somebody will get out of rhythm and sit and down opposite the rest of the crew. They aren't really listening to the command, they're figuring what I want next and doing it.

Zane had a big change in his life yesterday. I switched him to a raw diet. His eyes are always red and watery. I haven't found a food I'm totally thrilled with (I opened one bag and it smelled rancid. Ewwww!) So he's on raw. Yesterday was the first day, and his eyes are already looking better. And no, I don't feed kibble with corn, so I know that wasn't the problem. Let's just say he's loving his new food.

And yes, I can still use meals for training with raw. I just have a spoon or fork in the bowl of food, and feed him pieces with the utensil. He has no problem with that!

1 comment:

  1. I loved Raw when I fed it! They looked great on it! And it wasn't too hard.

    There's a great yahoogroup out there about it - it's called rawfeeding.

    ReplyDelete