Saturday, January 15, 2011

Wipe Your Paws

Since Zane finished his Novice Trick Dog requirements, I was looking at the Intermediate tricks. He has to do 12. He can do 9 right now, so I have to decide which ones to train him to do. I decided the first one is "wipe your paws". I've never taught this behavior before, so it will be new for both of us.

I started with a nice, soft, rubbery frisbee type thing. It really doesn't matter what it is - I just wanted something for him to target. I first clicked for paw targeting it. When that was reliable, I waited. He would either pull his foot backward (wiping motion!) which I clicked, or he would put his other paw on (I clicked that too). I think it will quickly turn into a wiping motion.

Hmmm, if I'm good, I'll get the camera out and tape it tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment