Monday, January 24, 2011

Distance Work

Today we started some distance work in agility. The first distance command I'm teaching is "Go" which means continue on straight ahead.

I loaded a target with a piece of food. We both started behind the jump and I sent him over to the target. I stayed back at the start line. Then he had to go two jumps. Then three jumps.

At that point I put a tunnel in front of the two jumps. So we did the two jumps, then tunnel-jump-jump. He had a little trouble coming out of the tunnel and going straight ahead. He wanted to turn back and see where I was. But he figured it out, so we were able to do jump-tunnel-jump-jump.

This is going to be a slow process. There is no hurry, he's still young, and I don't want to push him too much right now. Jumps are only 8" and each obstacle is only 8 feet or so apart. I'm just building concepts.

No comments:

Post a Comment